1. You write about whiskey for a living. What’s the best part of your job?
It’s all about experiencing newness for me. Newness in the sense that I’ve tasted amazing whiskey and have met wonderful people through my job–for the first time. It’s also so much fun chatting with people in the industry–from distillers to fellow beverage writers–about the key component that brings us together: whiskey.
2. This blog’s all about creativity. Tell us about a work of art you feel is woefully misunderstood or underappreciated.
Can I make a broad statement? Art is meant to be misunderstood by most. The idea that causes a certain work of art to come to fruition mostly stems from what the artist was experiencing emotionally. We as the partakers of such art can and will interpret it as something completely different than what the artist may have intended. Not to sound cliché, but art is open to interpretation.
3. What artist (musician, filmmaker, writer), living or dead, would you like to throw back a cocktail with? Why?
Music and whiskey go together. So, I have two artists I’d love to enjoy a cocktail with: Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top and Pharrell Williams. They are two completely different musicians but both–from what I’ve read–have an appreciation for quality booze.
4. Tell us one thing you can’t do without.
I can’t do without my loving family and friends. This pandemic has presented unique challenges and I’d be remiss if I failed to mention that the reason for my sanity at this point is because of their existence. On a side note, I can’t do without my collection of notebooks. I still haven’t used all of them, but I’m a sucker for a good notebook.
5. Seems like you already have the best job ever. But, if you could do any job besides writing about whiskey, what would it be?
I’d be a meteorologist. Seriously. Growing up, I was always so fascinated with weather. Think about it: Weather and climate impacts everything we do–it even can alter the flavor profile of whiskey.
6. What does the future hold? Any big projects?
I’m thrilled to continue writing about whiskey and other spirits, but for some outlets that will be new to my portfolio. I will also be a judge at the Texas Whiskey Festival. This is my first time to be an official judge for an event, so I’m truly excited to lend my palate and expertise to the festival.
7. What’s your favorite cocktail?
An Old-Fashioned. I’m into the classics.
One thought on “Gabrielle Pharms”
I love what you guys stand for. One of the best whiskey not only from Texas but from everywhere to be honest.